Okay world, you win. You have officially come up with the craziest thing for me to worry about: Spontaneous Face Combustion.
Kim Grice, a 29-year-old mother of three, was having a routine outpatient surgery to remove some growths from her face when it BURST INTO FLAME. This poor woman suffered burns to her face and neck and had to be helicoptered to the University of South Alabama’s Burn Unit on Tuesday morning.
APPARENTLY what happened to Kim Grice was not an isolated incident. Experts have estimated that each year 650 fires flare up in operating rooms around the country. Some patients have recovered with scars and emotional damage but some DIE from burns and smoke inhalation. Why have I never heard of this?!
They are investigating the “flash fire” but apparently the doctors are as surprised as everyone else. I guess this explains the reactions of the doctors in this photo below.
“God golly gosh! This has startled me. What should we do? Let’s marvel at it for a bit. I mean, it IS a medical mystery!”
I can now add a new fear to my list for when I have to have any type of surgery done to me in the future. Thanks world. I’m pretty sure you’re doing this on purpose now just to laugh at people with anxiety and paranoia issues like myself. Awesomeness!